I have an Canon CanoScan N650U scanner that I use a few times a year. Canon never released Vista drivers for this scanner, using the instructions below made the scanner work on Windows 7 for me:
- Download the XP drivers from Canon’s website
- Install the drivers
- The driver didn’t install, but unzipped to C:/Temp/CanoScanCSUv571a
- Go to C:/Temp/CanoScanCSUv571a and uncompress CanoScanCSUv571a.exe
- Plug in your scanner
- Go to your device manager.
- Click on Add a Device and select the scanner
- Right click to update driver information
- Select browse my computer for driver software
- Type in: C:\Temp\CanoScanCSUv571a
- Click next and my scanner worked
Update: In the comments Paul wrote, “I used the WIA drivers, which I found here: http://www.normalgeeks.com/Canoscan_WIA.zip” I haven’t tried it, but’s worth checking out.